BETA - Please be aware that this feature is currently in beta mode
The following is a guideline to follow when using the recipe "Segmentation for Dynamics". Please read these guidelines before cloning the recipe.
This project uses Openprise's Data Catalog. We recommend you review the following video about Openprise's Data Catalog before cloning this recipe.
This recipe provides the following:
- Jobs that process records with a job title to clean and identify additional information like job level and job function
- Jobs that process annual revenue, and employee count to a segmented value
- A framework that can be used to segment industry if your organization has chosen to use a custom industry value instead of using the standard Dynamics industry picklist values
- An App Factory app to review the Segmentation results
- An App Factory Dashboard to see a heat map of records in your database based on their segmented values
The assumption is that your Dynamics objects are being imported on a regular basis by pre-existing bots.
- Create data sources for Dynamics Contact, Lead, and Account with at least the following attributes. Note: If these data sources are already created, please verify that the following attributes are defined in the data sources.
LeadId ContactId AccountId EmailAddress1 EmailAddress1 FirstName FirstName LastName LastName JobTitle JobTitle revenue IndustryCode NumberofEmployees NumberofEmployees
*Please note: Industries in Dynamics by default are managed by a picklist within Dynamics. If there is a custom object or attribute that holds the industry value, please also import that attribute or object.
- Create new data targets: Create a new data target for Leads, Contacts, and Accounts with the following attributes:
- Leads - any attributes in the table above that will be updated
- Contacts - any attributes in the table above that will be updated
- Accounts - any attributes in the table above that will be updated
To clone the project recipe, navigate to Projects > Recipes and select the project recipe to clone
You will need to provide:
- Project name
- Prefix and/or suffix for all objects in the project
- Data source to be used in the project
- Data target to be used in the project
Examine the cloned project
We recommend you look through all the newly created project elements to familiarize yourself with what has been created.
- Any job that is marked with errors. These errors must be manually corrected.
- Tasks that write back to Dynamics will need to be edited as they are currently Filter records tasks. Please change the task template to the Export task, and supply the data target created in the Preparation step (above). Map 0P attributes to any fields that you want to write back to Dynamics. Note: We recommend that you run the jobs with the Export task configured with bypass enabled so you can review any data changes before writing data back to Dynamics.
- Review logic in the jobs to validate that it meets your requirements for cleaning the incoming title, industry, and the number of employees data and matching it to any level, range, or industry value.
- Check that you have an automated bot that imports Accounts, Leads, and Contacts on a frequent basis so we are always processing up-to-date records.
Test the App
When you're ready to test, change any export task that is bypassed to allow updates. Then, prepare a series of sample records to test the Segmentation jobs. It is suggested you test each use case separately for ease of diagnosing errors and only include a few records in each test. Results should be verified in both the App and in Dynamics directly.
For example, test the following use cases for Leads and Contacts:
- A record with a junk Title to be cleaned. Note: The cleaned title will not be written back to Dynamics as best practice, and is only used to produce better segmentation results.
- A record with a valid Title.
- A record with a Title in your ideal customer profile to identify sub-function.
- A record with a dirty or un-normalized industry value
- A record with no industry or NumberofEmployees
- A record with a NumberofEmployees and no range
To run each test:
- Open the first job and task for each process
Dynamics Accounts - Segmentation - 01 Data Prep
Dynamics Contacts - Segmentation - 01 Data Prep
Dynamics Leads - Segmentation - 01 Data Prep
- Add to the first task, "Filter Records," a filter for the specific sample records.
- Run jobs 01 and 02
- Review the outputs of the 02 jobs to ensure the data is being cleaned correctly
Dynamics Accounts - Segmentation - 02 Tag Updates
Dynamics Contacts - Segmentation - 02 Tag Updates
Dynamics Leads - Segmentation - 02 Tag Updates
- Once the data looks good, run the remove the bypass on the export tasks in job 03
Dynamics Accounts - Segmentation - 03 Updates Data
Dynamics Contacts - Segmentation - 03 Updates Data
Dynamics Leads - Segmentation - 03 Updates Data
- Run Job 03 and check the data within Dynamics to ensure the updates have been posted correctly and there were no error messages in Openprise or Dynamics